Saturday, April 28, 2012

(India) Pale Ale

Its not often that I've been called a snob.  The thought of even dawning the cape of 'beer snob' was even more unthinkable.  I have known a few self-proclaimed beer snobs in my day, and I can assure you, that I never thought I was one, nor did I think I ever could be.

However, I think everything, even being a snob, rests in context.

Here, in India, I have fallen prey to the lack of bitters, sours, darks, malts, porters, stouts, wheat beers and, well, generally, decent beer.  Options in most stores and bars involve Kingfisher Light, Kingfisher Strong, and recently, Kingfisher Blue (labeled with a fancy blue metallic sheen that proves its quality).  These beers are 'different' from each other, but primarily only in terms of alcohol content.  Higher end establishments will carry a few run of the mill 'premium' beers, like the Danish Carlsberg or lesser known Tuborg, the Dutch Heineken, the American Budweiser, the Australian Fosters - and on special pricey occasions, the Mexican Corona.  Taste the great beers of the world!  With that selection, its no wonder people stick to the Kingfisher!  There is something called a 'Godfather' and a 'Thunderbolt', but they fall into the same category as Kingfisher Strong; they feel more like malt liquor than anything else.  These cover 99.9% of the beer options available in India.  If you were to pour these beers into beautiful pint glasses and line them all up to each other, the would NOT look like this:
Yet, after a rant like that, how could I not be called a beer snob?  As many friends of past can affirm, with my affinity to PBR (before it became annoyingly hipsterish), and probably more relevant, my penchant to save money, forever relegated me to the legions of beer appreciators - but not beer snobs.

Yesterday, while I was delightfully enjoying a Kingfisher, a thought crossed my mind that at first got me curious, then a little riled up, and now mildly incensed.  Why can't I find India Pale Ale in India?

A friend always used to tell the story of England putting extra hops into beer to make the journey by ship from London to Bombay.  Turns out this is false, but that large quantities of the beer were shipped to India to satiate the thirst of the East India Company.  There are lots of left overs from British occupation, but this isn't one of them.  Fine, how about just Pale Ale then?  

1 comment:

  1. So, are you trying to tell me you want me to bring you PBR? I know that's what this means. Don't worry, I've got a nice selection of Natty Ice and Wisconsin's best ready to go.

    ReplyDelete